Sunday, October 30, 2005

Random Fall Observations

Fall is my favorite season. I like seeing nature change, even though it's still sunny out and generally nice. It's a time for new beginnings. But also new endings!

So in this spirit I would like to make 4 random observations:

Observation Nr. 1: fall in northern California arrives with an almost unnoticeable lowering of temperatures (instead of daytime temps. in the 80s we now have high 60s) and, in certain areas, the leaves change color too. However, judging by the amount of sunlight and people relaxing themselves doing summer-like activities such as biking, sailing and surfing, you'd never know it's fall.




Do you like my shorts?

Observation Nr. 2: cooking a meal for friends can be fun, if done right. Adding immensely to the joy of cooking is when you don't burn your spaghetti sauce.



Yes, I can cook - spaghetti sauce being one of the 3 dishes I know!

Observation Nr. 3: my tomato plants are just about done for the year, and, after I and the new tenant in my old apartment building finish harvesting the couple cherry tomatoes left on the vine, I suppose they should be torn out and composted. I learned this year that not just any tomato plants will grow anywhere, even though we're in California. Also, you do need to give them water more than a simple hosing down twice a week.



I ate two of the pictured tomatos today at work. They tasted good, and meaty

Observation Nr. 4: after my first harvest of lettuce resulted in the lettuce plant going to seed, it would indicate that my lettuce fared no better than my tomatoes. Also that my garden substrate or whatever it is they call the soil is less than perfect. What you see below (behind the reddish chard / rhubarb looking plant) is a former loose leaf lettuce plant that was producing nice leaves for salad. It is slowly coming to resemble a branchy bush ... My friend Willow explained it to me like this: when the plant feels under stress, its urge will always be to procreate. Which explains the "going to seed" phenomenon.