Monday, November 14, 2005

Trip down South

I feel the need to add some content to the site. Thanks to those of you who visited since 2 weeks ago and have given me positive or, in some cases, mirthful comments regarding my fall posting.

First off, I am happy to say that the house-warming party at my new place Nov. 5th was a success. There were 12 guests in my apartment and I do believe that is a personal record for me! This was not a big party nor a "wild" one by anyone's standards. I think the wildest thing we did was bake and eat a quiche with blue cheese, pepper jack and mushrooms instead of the called-for provolone. Yes it was perfectly boring! I was happy just that the people stayed, ate my food, and seemed to enjoy themselves. The point was made at one point that it was a "mellow" party. Well I've had parties where friends got drunk and got on my nerves ... SO... I think I will take the "mellow" label anytime. And no, I'm not talking about any of the readers of this blog being my drunk annoying friends. Back in Milwaukee, I don't think any of us cared if we were drunk.

Did you see "Ghostbusters"? Remember the party Rick Moranis had in his apartment? It was the scene when Bill Murray came over to tell the party that the building was haunted. Moranis, who plays a nerdy accountant who wants to date the sexy Sigourney Weaver next door, introduces his friends and makes remarks about how much money he saved each person on their tax return. I think there was a little of that going on at my own party. Unfortunately, Sigourney Weaver wasn't here. Also, I'm not an accountant (I'm a computer analyst - close enough) p.s. did you know Rick Moranis was one of the McKenzie brothers?

Anyways, here is a picture of the new place. You could call it an "aftermath picture" after the party. The guy pictured is my friend Jon who has roomed with me before (after college) and now has done it again (but only for a couple weeks he says)




The 12 guests drank in total a measly 3 bottles of wine.

During the last week I was also had a short vacation (5 days). I flew to Atlanta and rented a car, visiting my friend Eric (who lives near Rome, GA) and then driving to my brother's in Charleston, where he plays in the local symphony orchestra. It was all in all a great time. A couple of observations:

- In contrast to the Bay Area, there is a "true fall" in the south (in Georgia, at
least there is). Here we have young Mr. Jens posing with a Magnolia "cone".




What do they call these things?

- Here's a gratuitous picture from the same trip. I like to reward readers of my blog. I believe I finally caught up to the one and only "Chief of Dead Animal Society".




Let me show you my shotgun

- My golf game is not as good as my brother's. We went to the municipal golf course in Charleston one day while I visited and played a round of 18 holes. I was feeling fine when we got to the first tee




This course, which supposedly is the "worst qualilty" of all the courses in Charleston, had plenty of challenges. Here is a shot of the one of the par 4s on the back nine.




Of course, I hit my tee shot into the water.

p.s. I scored a 135, in case anyone wanted to know