Sunday, October 09, 2005

Bike Riding

During the last week, I vowed to try to take a ride on my "new" road bike (one I "inherited" from a colleague) every weekend until the weather turns. I guess sometime in November, it will become rainy here and the outdoor recreational opportunities become more limited.

So, this morning found me at the BART train at 40th and MacArthur at 9.30, headed north toward Pittsburgh / Bay Point. The BART ride was surprisingly long. But, with sunlight streaming into the car and not too many passengers, I had a pleasant ride, enjoying the view of the brown California hills (oops, "golden" hills, I am supposed to say). My ride began at the last BART stop (about 15 miles from downtown Oakland, by my reckoning): Pittsburgh / Bay Point. This is an industrial-looking town along the south side of the Sacramento River delta. Lots of not-so-scenic looking refineries and power plants, plus a port to accommodate barge traffic coming down from Sacramento (see map). Not the prettiest place to start a bike ride. But, I had contacted a local biker club and was told this is where the "novices" would meet, at 10 a.m. Well, I got there around 10, and no one else from this "club" was there (I asked another biker resting nearby, just in case I had missed them somehow). The "novices" were apparently taking a break, or had graduated to a better classification. I was on my own. I asked the same biker at the BART stop where I might be able to enjoy a "scenic" ride. He sort of laughed. "Lots of traffic here. I don't like to ride in this area", he said. I could see that the area didn't have that many roads ... and where there are fewer roads, there are more cars. That's just life in California. I noticed the same thing in certain parts of Europe, so I I'm used to that. I set out intrepidly, despite my fellow biker's advice, and headed for the hills.



map of bike ride to Pittsburg, CA


And what a hill it was! I proceeded from Pittsburgh back toward Walnut Creek (and Oakland) via the "Kirker Pass" on the romantic sounding "Railroad Avenue". I didn't see one other biker on this road. And I soon figured out why. a) lots of fast-moving traffic passing by, b) lots of flat-tire causing gravel and litter on the shoulder / bike lane (the bike lane was not marked as such, but at least there was a stripe), and c) a hill that steadily increased in grade until it because practically impossible at the top to go on. Nevertheless, I didn't regret the ride. I learned the limits of both my own legs and my 10-speed bike. My legs can get me up a short hill, like the one I live on, without too much problem. When it comes to longer inclines though, like the approx. 4 mile uphill I did today over the pass, I still need training. I walked about 1/4 mile. To be fair, my older-model road bike (I'm guessing it was made in the 80s) is also not designed for the faint of heart and body. While modern roadbikes have a forgiving 24 speeds, (allowing even weak guys like myself to traverse most hills), my Peugeot only has 10, of which only 8 are really usable.

As I wrote on the accompanying map, my estimated bike distance was a paltry 18 miles, while the BART ride was about 20 (including the trip back from Walnut Creek to Rockridge). I saw a lot of scenery, including lots of the nice suburbs that border Oakland and Berkeley to the north/west. Lots of sunshine there, hills to go biking and walking, shopping malls, beautiful, tanned (mostly white) people. The American Dream, I suppose. This includes the cities / suburbs of Walnut Creek, Pleasanton (the old home of PeopleSoft, now Oracle/PeopleSoft), and Concord. I will return. I need to measure myself against the Kirker Pass again.