Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fantasy Football Update (Steve)

Just so nobody thinks I don't respond to my readers, Steve here is the update on my fantasy football team. For all you other readers, this is how a single guy with computer skills and fast connection can spend his idle time. Don't follow my example! :-)


Current Black and Blue Standings


As you can see, I didn't do terribly well point-wise, but got really lucky, with my opponents each week scoring lower than normal. My scoring total is middle of the pack. However, I still have a 4-1 record. Oh yeah ... did you guess which team is me? Hint : it's named after the city where I now live.

Player-wise, I've dropped a couple duds off my roster, which inevitably happens every year I play this game. Those were:
Tyrone Calico (WR, Ten) (now playing David Patten, WR Wash)
Ryan Moats (RB, Phi) (now playing Brian Finneran, WR Atl)
Eric Johnson (TE, SF) (now playing David Martin, TE GB)

Here's the rest of my roster and my report on each player:

QB: Kerry Collins : playing well, perhaps not up to high 1st round draft level, but close.
Steve McNair : a nice substitute. He won last week's matchup for me with a 26 point performance.

RB: Steven Jackson : showing improvement. Last week was his best game so far.
Kevin Jones : likewise, same as above.
Rickey Williams : my "dark horse" finally coming back from a long suspension

WR: Michael Clayton : a total DUD. This guy was projected to have a great year. Instead his teammate Galloway is collecting all the receptions.
Nate Burleson : mediocre. Hurt by D. Culpepper's lackluster performance and overall bad Vikings management / coaching.
Travis Taylor : a pleasant surprise. I was lucky to get him in the 14th round. Suffers from same problem as Burleson though.
Keenan McCardell : had a nice couple of games to start, but last week he only caught 1 pass for 5 yards! The judgement is still out on him.
David Patten, WR Wash : just picked him up off waivers.
Brian Finneran, WR Atl : likewise.

TE: Jeremy Shockey : glad I picked him high (I think, in the 6th round). He's been my mainstay, very consistent.
David Martin : nice fill-in last week on Shockey's bye.

K: Jason Elam : not as good as I'd hoped.
DST: Bengals : better than expected.

In summary, I'm hopeful about my prospects. My team has thusfar played below its potential, yet I am still 4-1.