Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Redcross filmfest

Tonight I had some time to surf again. I had an email in my inbox from RedCross.com and decided to check them out. They are doing a short filmfest and are asking the public to evaluate the films. It's worth a look if you are in the mood for some quick entertainment and like creative filmmaking. The first two short films - from Atlanta and L.A. - really stood out. The rest of them were, well, so-so - at least in my opinion. I think the characters really make a movie. The "Donut or Donate" movie is absolutely hilarious and had me laughing out loud at my computer.

In other news, I seem to have finally found a group I can play basketball here in Oakland with, without having to join an expensive gym. They meet Thurday nights in Rockridge and generally are around my age (late 20s to late 30s). Most of them kick my butt in hoops, but I can play some good "D" when I am motivated. Long arms and legs help. It does cost $10 a night, so I am playing it week-to-week for the time being.

Lots going on in local politics. There is the local mayoral election in June, which is turning into a 3-way horse race between 3 candidates who pretty much span the ethnic and gender spectrum here. We have the hispanic patriarch (Ignacio De La Fuente), the dark horse she-candidate (Nancy Nadel) and an african-american 60s-era political star, Ron Dellums (he served many years in Washington as a congressman). It looks at the moment like Dellums has a slight advantage. I saw them debate a couple weeks past and was impressed with Nancy Nadel.

Interesting that in Oakland, aging "stars" like Dellums and Jerry Brown (our current mayor) can so easily get elected mayor - and would want the job!

Last night, I was the M.C. at our speech club's panel discussion on impromptu speaking. This was not an especially difficult assignment, since the panelists did most of the talking. I got to try my cooking skills, though, which was the main organizational challenge for me. I am proud to say, the "quick and easy crostini" black olive toasties came out well and were quite the hit. You can read the recipe exclusively here, on Kent's blog.

Lastly, someone who occasionally reads this blog asked to see more Hawaii pictures. For you, my highly unloyal readership, I am posting a few more shots from Oahu. Hey, would someone fill up my guestbook please! I was actually debating shutting this blog down, but Godfather Jerry has convinced me to keep the thing going a little while longer.


On my day travelling alone, I visited the famous Hanauma Bay state park, which is kind of a snorkeler's paradise.


I took a swim in some muddy water near a waterfall with my cousin's girls. Here Sally is running away from me. That's JUST my experience lately with women!


Even following a garbage truck, you feel like you're in paradise, with all the lush green vegetation surrounding you.

- End -