Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Press Corps Dinner

You may have heard the talking heads talking about the press corps dinner last weekend in which an impersonator (his name is Steve Bridges I found out) got up on the podium alongside President Bush, and gave a "dual speech" with the President, followed by Steven Colbert making fun of everybody, especially the president. Someone I know forwarded me the link to the video of the dinner (on google video). I watched about 1 hour of it - far too much - and didn't like Colbert, but thought the Pres' was actually funny. Go figure. Usually I just cringe every time that man opens his mouth.

The most interesting segments I thought were actually at the beginning, when they showed footage from previous press corps dinners going all the way back to JFK. Seems like all the presidents could be funny, at one moment or the other. Clinton's crack about Jay Leno was pretty good. I also thought Lyndon Johnson was funny. Well I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while....