Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Google Chrome, and other Technology Musings

Recently while surfing around the web I downloaded Google Chrome on a lark and installed it.  Since then I've become a big fan of this new browser.  Here are my reasons why I like it:

- Chrome loads faster than either Microsoft IE or Mozilla Firefox
- Chrome allows searches in the "address bar" (just start typing a phrase - it's a built in search - of course, a good deal for Google!)
- Chrome has a "last viewed" selector for recent sites that is waaaay cool (see picture)
- Chrome refreshes automatically - I do not have to "clear cache".  This is very useful whenever I work on websites (which is something I do for a couple of non-profits)

In other news, 2 friends of mine recently experienced computer problems.  One is a mac user who had her laptop stolen in Central America.  Another is a friend whose laptop's motherboard friend.  Both are wondering what to do.  I recommended to check eBay or Craigslist for quality used machines.  But I would not invest in a computer that is more than 1.5 years old.  Last time I did that, my laptop was obsolete by the 2nd year I owned it.  Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?