Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hope, Restored

Dirt mixed with bark and twigs
As I walk down the trail,
Click, Click 
Goes the walking stick
Making me feel old and frail
Approaching middle age,
Moving through dark forest.


The mountains around me
Stare down impassively
No mark of progress
Nothing to distract me
Only rocks
Dotting the steep slopes
Intermingled with snow.



My thoughts turn inward,
Like a burrowing plow
Under forest pine-bough
Unearthing, laying bare
Regret and despair
My memories,
A ball of worms
Writhing,
Unaccustomed to light.


Red paintbrush, violet lupine
A splash of color, a sign
For stale thoughts to retreat
As soft grass brushes my feet
How can I dwell in wrong?
Listening to faint birdsong
Pulling me back from slumber.



Sunlight breaking through trees
Melancholy darkness recedes
Beautiful meadow, soft, green
Fed by clear blue water, so clean
Rushing, tumbling, rolling
Overpowering winter
Giving life, washing wounds,
Restoring hope.