Saturday, August 19, 2006

Half Dome Rock

This is the rock I want to climb next weekend with some friends.



Well, actually, we're not going to be "climbing", in the sense that we will be walking, and not scaling, the mountain. There is a well-known trail that goes up the back side...

The climb starts in the valley near Happy Isles Nature Center (4035 ft.) and ends at the top of half dome rock (8836). There is a good description of the trail I found using google on the web.

I have done very little aerobic excercise the last weeks (besides riding my bicycle to work and back), so it will be interesting to see how I and my friends fare.

We want to climb up the whole way on Saturday and then back down. And then we have to find campsites... !

Since this is the most popular trail in the park, and Yosemite is so full of people in the summertime, we could not obtain the needed wilderness permit to camp anywhere near Half Dome. Therefore we will probably have to drive all the way out of the park again to find a spot!

You would think with all the space in Yosemite, finding a place to camp would not be so hard. But, not on a weekend in summertime, apparently!

Well, either way, I'm sure it will be a great experience.