Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Bagdad in New Orleans

I turned on the computer after getting home today and read the news on MyWay, as is my custom. The first picture I saw from New Orleans was this.



I guess there are people with guns down there shooting at cellular tower repair people. So the Sheriff's department gets to "play Army".

Can you just imagine, a little old lady, stranded for days in her apartment, opens the window to ask for help and sees these Sheriffs. "Hey Billybob down there, would ya help out an old lady?" "Close your window and stay inside! We busy hunting snipers!"

Despite all of the catastrophe news, when I see pictures like this I see how ridiculous America can be. Call me upatriotic.

Let me put it this way, for all pro-handgun advocates: is it better that we have guys like this with M-16s patrolling the streets of our cities, or would it not be better if there were serious gun laws and the cops could keep their guns holstered, and give some real meaningful help?

On a related subject, the latest I heard from Texas is they are sheltering 13,000 hurricane victims in a shopping mall in San Antonio. Well, hey, those people won't have to go far to spend their $2,000 government vouchers!

The Salvation Army and American Red Cross appear to be doing a lot of good work, and are asking for donations...

And yes, I did finally get around to posting pictures from my trip to the Sierra Nevada the weekend before last.

One last thing: everybody please sign my guestbook! Call me a moron if you want! Or should I go on strike to test the faith of my readership?