Thursday, August 25, 2005

Best bargain wines

I'm off to go hiking in the Sierras starting tomorrow and ending Monday eve. As usual, my place is a mess, I'm only half packed, and it's almost 11 p.m. I had to buy a lot of equipment for this one, like a tent, walking sticks (I know they're yuppie, but I figure being 34, I got to start taking care of my body), water purifier, polyester clothing (so you don't stay damp) etc. etc. It cost me a bundle at REI before I realized I could get most of this stuff cheaper at other stores. For instance the 2 person tent from REI that I bought for $170 can be had for half the price at the outdoor shop across the street. Naturally I will return the REI tent and keep the cheaper one. I love America!

On another subject, just so you folks don't think I never give you free stuff here on this website, here is the top bargain wine list published in today's S.F. Chronicle:

Best Budget Brand Wines under $15 or less

- San Francisco Chronicle Wine Section, Aug 25 -

1. Bogle Vineyards (Sacramento Delta). Try their Chardonnay for $9 or Petite Sirah also $9
2. Castle Rock Winery (Calistoga, CA). Napa Valley Chardonnay $15
3. Concha y Toro (Chile) all red wines are good deals.
4. Don Sebastian and Sons (Sonoma, CA). Good merlot, Chardonnay or C. S. They often blend other's wines into their own.
5. McManis Family Vineyards (San Joaquin Valley). Chardonnay, P.S. and California Viognier (?), all around $10.
6. Falesco (Italy) Umbria Bianco, Umbria Rosso, Umbria Rose $8.
7. Hogue Cellars (Yakima, WA). Merlot, Riesling, Sangiovese Rose $10-$15.
8. McWilliam's Hanwood Estate (Australia). Australia Chardonnay, Riesling and Shiraz all around $10.
9. Villa Maria Estate (N.Z.) Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, and Merlot all $13-$15.
10. Three Thieves (Mendocino Cty, CA). They sell 1 Liter glass jugs and Tetra Brik Boxes of "Bianco Trebbiano", California Zinfandel and C.S. for $6-$10.

Enjoy the shopping!