Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Garden update



Quick update on my garden, which because I have little other social life, has become my main topic of conversation. The plants all responded to my emergency bat guano- planting mix quite well from 2 weeks ago. Interestingly, the plants on the near / "house" and middle sides of the garden - the tomatoes in the cages, most of the 5 cabbages, and the kale - are doing the best, while the lettuce on the far side of the garden is only staying green, but not really growing. It was in the far side of the garden, where the lettuce is, that I "dropped the load", meaning, I used about 85% bat guano mix there, because I'd run out of the topsoil from doing the grading in the rest of the small garden. So it seems to me that you CAN over-fertilize vegetable plants. Maybe they're like us humans - you give them too much of a good thing, and they start wilting.